Monday, January 30, 2012

Cast Iron Lamb Shoulder with Potatoes


Sorry I've been MIA...a back injury has not kept me out of the kitchen, but it has made me forget to photograph and blog about what happening in our kitchen. Anyway, I have been utilizing my cast iron skillet more often lately because I keep coming across recipes that call for it, meaning  my mind is now conjuring up ideas of what magic it can bestow on my stomach. For instance, I had some lamb shoulder in the fridge and I figured that cooking it in the searing hot cast iron would definitely work...and I was right. 

First off, I marinated the cuts of lamb in 1/2 cup lemon juice, some fresh rosemary (say 3-4 sprigs), 3 cloves of minced garlic, 1/2 cup olive oil and 2 tbsp of dijon mustard. I did this mid-afternoon so the meat could sit in the fridge for four hours...more or less time will still work, just depends on your schedule, though at minimum I'd marinate them for 90 minutes. 

Next up, dice up some yukon gold potatoes, throw them in a pyrex dish with a little olive oil and a lot of salt (I used a rosemary sea salt - amazing!!!!!) and stick them in the oven at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes. Once the half hour has passed, start heating that cast iron skillet. When it is hot enough to make a drop of water evaporate, coat the bottom with a little more olive oil and then toss the potatoes in. Continue to move the potatoes around in the skillet and add a little chopped onion or shallots (less than 1/4 cup!). After about 20 minutes when the potatoes are really starting to crust over and get soft inside, grab the lamb. 


Pour some of the marinade (maybe half) into the pan and place the chops in there amidst the potatoes. Cook the lamb about 5 minutes per side and then remove the skillet from heat. The lamb will be medium-rare (and perfect!) at this time, but if you wrongly prefer it more cooked, haha, add two or three minutes to each side. 

Served with mixed greens and a homemade lemon vinaigrette. 

- Melissa 

No comments:

Post a Comment