Thursday, June 21, 2012

Wilted Arugula Salad with the WORKS

So...want to make a salad that is both green but gluttonous? I have the answer. This wilted arugula salad (which I half stole from a restaurant where I ordered it and then doctored a bit on my own) will leave guests asking for seconds and thirds.

For starters, you need to make your own dijon vinaigrette, which is really easy. One part olive oil, one part lemon juice, one part stone ground dijon (Grey Poupon totally works) and one part white balsamic vinegar. Then add a pinch of splenda/sugar, whisk vigorously and taste. Too tart, more splenda, too sweet, more mustard. You can make this ahead of time and let it sit in the fridge, but whisk it again before serving.

Next, you want to take the arugula and cook it for a few minutes in a little olive oil and white wine over a medium heat in a large, sauté pan. Once it is wilted, remove it from the heat and put the arugula aside. Then using the same pan, lightly toast pumpkin seeds, golden raisins, chopped shallots and sliced prosciutto. (The restaurant version used bacon, so believe me, that works too!)

It just screams to be devoured!
Once its all warm, top the arugula with the goodness from the pan and then pour the vinaigrette over the salad and lightly mix it all together. Remember, just enough dressing to get it damp - the goal is not to soak the salad and make a pool in the dish. Lastly, I cracked some white peppercorns on top.

Plated perfection.
You might notice that I also added in some mixed greens (radicchio, spinach, etc.) for a little more greenery since I'd underestimated the arugula count! Luckily, it all works well together, but in the future I'll stick to just the one leaf. 

- Melissa

No comments:

Post a Comment