Friday, August 5, 2011

White Bean Tomato Dip

This is a quick, can prepare ahead of time, and easy dip that is great for company coming over or even to bring to someone's house. It is a little spanish influenced, so really, consider it a great Cinco de Mayo (or Agosto!) appetizer.
First you need to get a can of Northern White Beans...not Fava, not Kidney and not Pinto....Northern White, ok? Try the Goya aisle of the grocery store.
In retrospect, I wish I'd had some broccoli florets on hand to replace the carrots. Oh well!
Heat 1/3 cup of veggie broth in a saucepan until it is almost boiling, but not quite. Then add 1 to 2 cloves of minced garlic (depending on your love of the stuff) and let it simmer. Now you want to pour the broth/garlic mixture into a food processor, along with some olive oil, the drained can of beans and about 1/4-1/2 cup of sun dried tomatoes. For the tomatoes, I used the ones that come in the jar with oil and did NOT rinse or drain them. Blend this all together until it is sort of smooth, then slap it in a bowl and let it sit in the fridge for an hour or more at least. 


Top it with some parsley and/or cilantro when you're ready to serve.
I served it with a sliced baguette that I toasted in the oven, blue tortilla chips and carrots. The carrots were because I forgot to get broccoli - so learn from my mistake! - though really, most vegetables will work, even though the chips and bread was far more complimentary in my mouth...um, I mean mind. 
- Melissa 

No comments:

Post a Comment